The best chess player in the world, Magnus Carlsen, now No. 1 in fantasy football
- The most successful chess player in the world has just become the highest ranked player in the biggest fantasy football league in the world.
- On Sunday, Magnus Carlsen took first place in the Fantasy Premier League (FPL) game, which has 7.2 million players.
- The 29-year-old changed his bio on Twitter to: “World Chess Champion. Highest ranked chess player in the world. Current (live) #1 player in the Fantasy Premier League.”
- Carlsen is the world’s most successful chess champion, a chess grandmaster and current world champion, and attributes his fantastic success to a mixture of luck and data analysis.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The world’s most successful chess champion has just risen to the top of the table in the world’s most popular fantasy football game.
Magnus Carlsen announced on Sunday that he was first in the Fantasy Premier League (FPL), which has 7.2 million players, after benefiting from two goals from his captain, Liverpool FC striker Mohammed Salah.
His team, called Kjell Ankedal, is currently made up of a mix of Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Leicester City players who have helped him to 1159 points so far.
They are just one point ahead of former Liverpool player Nick Tanner’s side, which they overtook on Sunday.
—Magnus Carlsen (@MagnusCarlsen) December 14, 2019
The 29-year-old changed his bio on Twitter to: “World Chess Champion. Highest ranked chess player in the world. Current (live) #1 player in the Fantasy Premier League.”
Fans have been pestering Carlsen, who is the current world chess champion, to reveal his secret, but he claims it’s just part luck, part data analysis.
“Since a lot of people are asking about my #FPL strategy, mine isn’t that groundbreaking, part stats and part intuition. Part @Opta-mist and part bullish. Patent pending,” he said. he tweeted on Dec. 9.
Carlsen was referring to Opta, a sports data company.
Carlsen is widely considered one of the best chess players in history and was a child prodigy.
“In chess you know when you’ve done well and when you’ve done badly, but it’s hard for me to praise fantasy league, when I was just lucky,” Carlsen told Norwegian television in October when it premiered entered the top three places.
Leon Watson, of chess training site Chessable, told Business Insider: “Carlsen is obsessed with football, it’s how he relaxes after games.”
“I played 5 with him and I can tell you he is extremely competitive in everything he does so he will only be in fantasy football to win it.”
“It’s no surprise he’s good at it. Chess is about making decisions, finding the most effective choices, and learning from your mistakes and the mistakes of others.”