Padmini Rout birthday special: lesser known facts about the Indian chess player
Indian chess player Padmini Rout turns 27 today (January 5, 2021). Rout is one of the most decorated chess players in the country and has won several titles nationally and internationally. Born in Barambagarh, Odisha, Rout has been practicing this sport since his childhood and also has several distinctions at the junior level. So, on his birthday, we take a look at some lesser known facts about Padmini Rout.
Born in Odisha, she started playing chess at the age of nine due to her father’s passion for the game and won her first national title at the age of 11 in 2005. In 2006, Rout was both Indian Under-13 Champion and Asian Champion Under-12 Champion. Padmini Rout has been part of the Indian women’s team at several World Chess Olympics.
Lesser Known Facts about Padmini Rout
- Padmini Rout was born on January 5, 1994 in Barambagarh, Odisha
- She is a four-time National Women’s Premier title holder, consecutively from 2014 to 2017
- Rout represented India at the 2016 and 2018 Chess Olympics
- She received the International Master title in 2015 and the Woman Grandmaster title in 2017
- Rout received the Biju Patnaik Sports Award for the year 2007 and the Ekalavya Award in 2009.
- She won gold at the Asian Women’s Individual Championship in 2018
Padmini Rout recently led the Indian women’s team to a gold medal at the Asian Nations Online Chess Championship in October 2020. The team beat Indonesia 6-2 in the final. PV Nandhidhaa, in the women’s final, provided the first point for India, defeating Chelsie Monica Ignesias Sihite before Padmini Rout defeated Medina Warda Auilia.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on January 05, 2021 at 9:00 am IST. For more information and updates on Politics, World, Sports, Entertainment, and Lifestyle , connect to our website Latestly.com).